Fri. 29th July 2022
Start time: 10:00 a.m.
End time: 04:00 p.m.
Venue: Coral Covey Studio
Directions: Dodd Street, St. Andrews, Victoria 3761
6 in stock
6 in stock
- One finished sterling silver piece of jewellery made by you.
- Expert guidance on how to carve jewellery wax
- Delicious fresh lunch and refreshments.
About the Workshop
Laura has designed a one-day workshop for people of all ages and abilities. Students will be guided through the design process and encouraged to experiment with wax carving to create their own pendant, ring or set of earrings. To ensure individual attention can be given, class numbers are limited to 6 people (larger groups can be arranged upon request. Please email Laura if you require a group booking – email@example.com).
Laura will explain the lost wax casting process stage by stage. This is where your carved wax item is transformed into solid sterling silver. She will guide you on choosing the right tools, selecting and carving the right jewellers wax, and realising your creative ideas. She will explain a range of traditional wax carving techniques such as: carving, sawing, filing and polishing as well as some secret techniques that Laura has personally developed within her own practice. There will be multiple demonstrations along the way with individual tuition, specifically tailored to guide each student through the nuances of their design.
Once the course is complete, Laura will cast your chosen wax item in solid sterling silver. She will professionally finish your item, cleaning it and adding hooks for earrings or a chain for pendants. She will then carefully package and post it to you within a two-week period.
About the teacher
Laura is a well-established Australian jeweller who has a Masters of Fine Art, specialising in jewellery. She lived in Europe for over a decade, building her knowledge and learning skills from some of the world’s most renowned jewellers. Now based in Melbourne, she is a sessional teacher at RMIT University and regularly exhibits her work internationally.
What you will need…
All tools, equipment and materials – including sterling silver – will be provided. Laura will also provide you with sketch paper to take notes and design your piece. An apron will also be provided, however for safety reasons, please wear closed-toe shoes. Long hair should be tied back. Bring reading glasses if you normally wear them.
Each attendee will receive a certificate of completion and information about jewellery suppliers – Yay!
- Please inform Laura of any dietary requirements 1 week prior to the workshop date.
- During the course, students can cast one item of up to 7gm in silver. You are very welcome to make an extra piece, or have pieces gold-plated for an additional fee.
- Booking changes or cancellations must be made 1 week prior to the workshop date, otherwise I am unable to offer a refund.
- For the safety of all attendees to my workshop & during a studio visit, I ask that visitors use my business QR code to check in upon arrival and present their vaccine certificate.